Sunday 27 July 2008

The Black Keys

I came across The Black Keys on Channel 4's Live from Abbey Road, and I have to confess to mixed feelings. It was nice to hear something raw and immediate after the anodyne Hoosiers, and they certainly kick up a fair racket, but I still have reservations.

I fought the temptation to compare them with The White Stripes, simply because of their lineup: if they were a bogstandard four-piece, I wouldn't feel the need to make any invidious comparisons. But, then there was the rather similar musical territory, minus Meg White's rudimentary approach to drums - arguably a large part of The White Stripes' appeal.

Call me slow on the uptake, but they were a couple of songs into their set, before I clocked the name: The Black Keys, The White Stripes - someone somewhere is taking the mick.




No comments: